The University Building
The university is just one big building. There is a great hall
(like a station or an airport) and there are wings.
The different parts of the building are labelled by letters:
A room labelled V4-xyz will be in the fourth floor, and it will be
in the V-wing in case x = 2, and on the long corridor near to the V-wing
in case x = 1.
- A, B, C, D, E:
these are the north wings
(as well as the neighboring parts in the long
corridors of the main building).
- R, S, T, U, V, W: these are the south wings.
- K, L, M, N: these are the labels for the bridges inside and above the hall.
Toilets: Off the main hall, in the passages to the wings; always
near to the elevators.
Opening hours of the building
The building is open:
Mo - Fr: 5:30 - 1:00 am
Sa: 5:30 - 15:00
On Saturdays, only the main entrance is open! In order to enter
at other times, one has to show the library card ("Bibliotheksausweis")
at the main entrance.
The main hall
and, in between, there are (slightly hidden) the entrances to the
(they are labelled H1 to H16).
- shops (books, stationaries, grocery, travel agency)
- a post office
- phone booths
- several cash machines (Sparkasse Bielefeld)
- a copy shop (Thiesbrummel, center of the hall, on the south gallery).
Opening hours: Mo - Fr 9:00 - 17:00
- several restaurants and coffee shops
- a swimming pool
The Faculty of Mathematics is situated in part V, the entrance from the main hall is
beside the book store (LUCE).
In part V, you will find:
- on the second floor (labelled V2): seminar rooms
- on the third floor:
- the administration of the Faculty of
Mathematics is in V3-115.
- the "Common Room" V3-201
- on the upper floors (V4, V5): offices and further seminar rooms.
The library is situated on the first floor, in the whole building, the
mathematics books and journals can be found in part V1.
You can enter the library from the
main hall (part U), where you have to use the stairs to the first floor.
Mo - Fr: 8:00 - 1:00 a.m.
Sa, So: 9:00 - 22:00
There is an additional entrance in part V, near to the
Mathematics wing. This entrance is open only Mo - Fr 9:00 - 16:00.
All books can be approached directly.
There are plenty of seats and tables in the library.
Please return the books to the shelves.
In order to borrow books one needs a special permit ("Bibilotheksausweis").
Here is the link to the university library - you may use it in order to find
out whether books are available:
Access to Computers
The general computer room of the Faculty is U5-139.
For long term visitors, individual accounts will be provided on request.
For major conferences at Bielefeld, there will be a special conference account
which allows the participants to login at their home account via telnet.
Please contact the local organizer.
Restaurants and Coffee Shops on the Campus
- Mensa (north-east corner of the main hall):
It serves several dishes, one is usually vegetarian.
You first have to make your choice (either reading the menue, or looking
at the glas container), then you buy a ticket (as a visitor,
you need a ticket "Gast") at the ticket counter. Next, pick up the
corresponding tray, sit down and enjoy your meal! Please return
- Salad Bar (east part of the Mensa): Choose whatever you like.
You pay 1 DM for 100 gr.
- Cafeteria (between the main entrance of the building and the
Mensa): Sandwiches and light meals. Self-service. Open from 8:00 am
to 6:00 pm.
- Westend (as the name indicates, the west corner of the hall):
Full meals, cake, salad, ice cream. Also self-service.
- Univarza, a Turkish restaurant. Full meals, coffee, drinks.
- There are two additional counters in the main hall, selling
sandwiches and beverages.
- IBZ (south-east of the main buildung, a 5 minutes walk):
A nice small restaurant run by the University. Open only at noon.
More expensive. The weekly menue is posted in the department.
- The swimming pool (at the west end of the hall).
Its opening hours (for members of the University): Mo, Tu, Th, Fr:
7:30 - 8:30; Tu, We, Th, Fr: 16:00 - 18:00.
- The university is on the border of the Teutoburger Wald, there are
several walking and hiking trails starting here.
Note that, for the protection of non smokers, smoking is not allowed inside the university.