The University Building
The University is just one large building. There is a great hall
(like in a station or an airport) and there are wings.
Parts of the building are labelled by letters:
A room labelled V4-xyz will be in the forth floor, and it will be
in the V-wing in case x = 2, and on the long corridor near to the V-wing
in case x = 1.
- A, B, C, D, E:
these are the north wings
(as well as the neighboring parts in the long
corridors of the main building).
- R, S, T, U, V, W: these are the south wings.
- K, L, M, N: these are the labels for the bridges inside the hall.
Bathrooms: Off the main hall, in the passages to the wings; always
near to the elevators.
Opening hours of the building
The building is open for all people:
Mo - Fr: 5:30 - 1:00 am
Sa: 5:30 - 15:00
Otherwise only the main entrance is open! In order to enter
at other times, one has to show the library card or the office key
at the main entrance.
The main hall
and, in between, there are (slightly hidden) the entrances to the
(they are labelled H1 to H16).
- shops (books, stationaries, grocery, travel agency)
- a post office
- phone booths
- cash machines
- a copy shop (Thiesbrummel, center of the hall, on the south gallery).
Opening hours: Mo - Fr 9:00 - 17:00
- several restaurants and coffee shops
Depatment of Mathematics
Depatment of Mathematics is in part V, the entrance from the main hall is
next to the book store (LUCE).
In part V, you will find:
- Second floor (labelled V2): seminar rooms
- Third floor:
- The administration of the Faculty of
Mathematics is in V3-115
- Upper floors (V4, V5, V6): Offices and further seminar rooms.
The library is on the first floor, in the whole building, the
mathematics books and journals are in part V1.
Entrances to the library are from the
main hall, part L, one has to use the stairs to the first floor.
Mo - Fr: 8:00 - 1:00 am
Sa, So: 9:00 - 22:00
There is an additional entrance in part M, thus near to the
Mathematics wing V. This entrance is open only Mo - Fr 9:00 - 16:00.
All books can be approached directly.
There are plenty of seats and tables in the library.
Please return the books to the shelves.
In order to borrow books one needs a special permit ("Bibilotheksausweis").
Access to Computers
The general computer room of the Faculty is U5-138.
Restaurants and Coffee Shops on the Campus
- Mensa (north-east corner of the main hall):
It serves several dishes, one is usually vegetarian.
You first have to make your choice (either reading the menue, or looking
at the glas container), then you buy a ticket (as a visitor,
you need a ticket "Gast") at the ticket counter. Next, pick up the
corresponding tray, sit down and enjoy your meal! Please return
- Salad Bar (east part of the Mensa): Choose whatever you like.
You pay 1 EUR for 100 gr.
- Cafeteria (between the main entrance of the building and the
Mensa): Sandwiches and light meals. Self-service. Open from 8:00 am
to 6:00 pm.
- Westend (as the name indicates, the east corner of the hall):
Full meals, cake, salad, ice cream. Also self-service.
- Univarza, a Turkish restaurant. Full meals, coffee, drinks.
- There are two additional counters in the main hall, selling
sandwiches and beverages.