Photo credit: Bruno Herman
José Pedro Quintanilha
E-mail: jquintan "at" math.uni-bielefeld.de
I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Universiy of Bielefeld, in the working group of Kai-Uwe Bux.
I am interested in low-dimensional topology and geometric group theory.
Here is my CV (last updated 23 May 2023).
- The complex of hypersurfaces in a homology class, joint with Gerrit Herrmann.
To appear in Michigan Mathematical Journal. Pre-print: arXiv:2007.00522 [math.GT].
- An algorithm to calculate generalized Seifert matrices, joint with Stefan Friedl and Chinmaya Kausik.
Published in Journal of Knot Theory and its Ramifications (2022). Pre-print: arXiv:2204.10004 [math.GT].
Try out Chinmaya's Clasper!
- My PhD thesis, Three slices of 3-manifold topology: spatial graphs, surface complexes and simplicial volumes, supervised by Stefan Friedl and Clara Löh (2022).
- Pre-print: Canonical decompositions and algorithmic recognition of spatial graphs, joint with Stefan Friedl, Lars Munser and Yuri Santos Rego.
I have recorded a presentation about this project, here are my notes for the talk.
- Stable integral simplicial volume of 3-manifolds, joint with Daniel Fauser,
and Marco Moraschini.
Published in Journal of Topology (2021). Pre-print: arXiv:1910.06120 [math.GT].
- My Master's thesis, Curves on the boundary of handlebodies, supervised by Sebastian Hensel (2017).
- Canonical decompositions and algorithmic recognition of spatial graphs, Oberwolfach Workshop 2303: Low-dimensional Topology, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach (19 Jan 2023). The 3-page extended abstract is published in the Oberwolfach Report (p. 37).
- Computing generalized Seifert matrices for closures of colored braids, Geometry Seminar, Universidade de Coimbra (5 Jan 2023). Abstract and notes.
- An overview of Sigma-invariants, LKS Seminar, Universität Regensburg (2 Dec 2022).
- An overview of Sigma-invariants, Tea Seminar, Universität Münster (14 Nov 2022). Abstract and notes.
- Studying 3-manifolds through the finite quotients of their fundamental groups, Geometry Graduate Colloquium, ETH Zürich (22 Oct 2020). Slides.
- Hypersurfaces representing a codimension-1 homology class, AG Seminar, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (23 Jan 2020). Abstract.
- Uma introdução à topologia e à teoria de nós, Encontro Nacional de Estudantes de Matemática, Universidade do Porto (15 Apr 2019). Slides (in Portuguese).
- Summer sem. 2023: Teaching assistant for Geometry and Topology, by Stefan Bauer.
- Winter sem. 2020/21: Organizer of a student seminar on L2-invariants, jointly with Lars Munser. Here is the program.
- Summer sem. 2019: Teaching assistant for Group Cohomology, by Clara Löh.
- Summer 2015: Monitor for a summer school for highschool students at the University of Porto. Notes for that project (in Portuguese): Jogos binários.
- 2022 - present: Postdoctoral researcher at the Universiy of Bielefeld, with Kai-Uwe Bux.
- 2018 - 2022: PhD at the University of Regensburg.
- 2015 - 2017: MSc in Mathematics a the University of Bonn.
- 2012 - 2015: BSc in Mathematics at the University of Porto.
- 2007 - 2012: MSc in Bioengineering at the University of Porto.