Welcome to my personal website. I’m a postdoctoral research assistant in the BIREP Group at the Universität Bielefeld, Germany. I recently completed my PhD in Mathematics at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, under the supervision of Professor David J. Benson.
Triangulated categories, representation theory, modules of constant Jordan type and relations to algebraic geometry.
|Address:||Fakultät für Mathematik, Universität Bielefeld, Postfach 100 131, Bielefeld, Deutschland|
|Telephone:||+49 521 106-5037|
|Email:||sbaland at math dot uni-bielefeld dot de|
Publications and preprints
- Some results on modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups, PhD thesis, University of Aberdeen, 2012. pdf
- On the generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type, Arch. Math. (Basel) 99 (2012), 305–314. pdf
- Modules of constant Jordan type with two non-projective blocks, J. Algebra 346 (2011), 343–350. pdf
Lecture notes, etc.Please contact me about any errors you may find in the following items.
- Classification of Finite-Dimensional Simple Lie Algebras over the Complex Numbers. My expository honors thesis at the University of Colorado, submitted in 2007. pdf
- “The generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type.” BIREP Seminar, Universität Bielefeld, 8 June 2012.
- “Generic kernels for modules of constant Jordan type.” Algebra Seminar, University of Aberdeen, 3 May 2012.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups.” Algebraic Transformation Groups workshop, British Mathematical Colloquium, University of Kent, 18 Apr 2012.
- “Restrictions on Jordan types of modules for elementary abelian p-groups.” 27th ARTIN Postgraduate Meeting, University of Glasgow, 18 Mar 2011.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type II.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 22 Apr 2010.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 8 Apr 2010.
- “A survey of modular representation theory II: p-modular systems and blocks.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 22 Oct 2009.
- “A survey of modular representation theory I: Brauer characters.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 15 Oct 2009.
- “The combinatorics of root systems.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 6 Dec 2007.
- “Semisimple Lie algebras.” Algebraic Lie Theory Seminar, University of Colorado, Boulder, 29 Nov 2007.
- “On the classification of finite-dimensional complex simple Lie algebras.” Slow Pitch Colloquium, University of Colorado, Boulder, 26 Nov 2007.
Awards and honors
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS), University of Aberdeen, 2008.
- Crisp Fellowship, Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society, Colorado Alpha Chapter, 2009.
- Modular Representation Theory of Finite and p-adic Groups , National University of Singapore, 1–26 April 2013.
- Conference in memoriam of Dieter Happel , TU Chemnitz, 3rd–4th May 2013.
- Bisets in Algebra and Topology, LAMFA, Université de Picardie Jules Verne, September 12–14, 2012.
- Cohomology and Support in Representation Theory and Related Topics, University of Washington, July 27–August 5, 2012.
- 2012 British Mathematical Colloquium (BMC), University of Kent, April 16–19, 2012.
- Groups 2012, a conference in honour of the 75th birthday of Bernd Fischer, Bielefeld University, March 12–16, 2012.
- Dave Benson’s Groups, Representations and Cohomology Preprint Archive.
- Sage Notebook, a very handy and free online mathematics program.
- The MAGMA computational algebra system.
- The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project.
This is a list of people who have influenced my work or otherwise contributed to my mathematical development.
- Jon Carlson
- Eric M. Friedlander
- Richard Green
- Radha Kessar
- Markus Linckelmann
- Tim Penttila
- Julia Pevtsova
- Jeremy Rickard
- Andrei Suslin
- Nat Thiem